with host artist Miriam Schulman
This episode is all about Instagram. Discover how often to post on Instagram, how to use hashtags and why using Linktree is lazy marketing.
My guest Tyler J McCall teaches entrepreneurs on how to use Instagram with intention. He shows people how to convert you followers into customers and stresses the importance of a well crafted Instagram strategy. He believes that you can use Instagram to sell your art.
In this podcast, you will discover…
- (04:30) Miriam gives some background on who she is and what she does
- (06:07) Figuring out Instagram strategies, systems and how the algorithm works
- (08:18) How often you need to post
- (10:06) What hashtags actually do
- (11:39) Why posting infrequently is still effective
- (12:17) The other things to do on Instagram, besides posting, to increase followers and engagement
- (12:56) How to work out which hashtags to engage in so you can find art collectors rather than just other artists
- (13:41) How you can engage with locations on Instagram
- (14:00) Ways of working out the kind of people to engage with so you can find buyers
- (15:30) How you can figure out the best posting time for you and why it doesn’t really matter
- (17:10) What IGTV is and what it’s benefits are
- (21:01) The three places you can do clickable links in Instagram
- (20:23) Advice on how to use IGTV
- (22:22) Why Linktree is lazy marketing
- (24:23) The importance of thinking about where to send your followers when they click on the link on your Instagram profile
- (25:48) The artists Tyler follows
- (26:42) The biggest mistakes artists make on Instagram
- (27:34) Suggestions on how to make posting your art about your followers rather than just you
- (29:20) Lauren asks- ‘What counts more – comments, likes or impressions and how do they increase your reach?’
- (32:06) How user habits on Instagram have changed
- (32:51) What the profile visits number means and why we should not get obsessed with analytics
- (35:09) Pat wants to know how to stop ghost followers
- (36:33) How your beliefs about Instagram are important and if you believe Instagram won’t work, then it won’t
- @schulmanart on Instagram
- @tylerjmaccall on Instagram
- Tyler’s Website
- Kolbe Test
- Follower to Fans Society
- @elysianmarket on Instagram
Tyler J. McCall is an Instagram and social media marketer, strategist, and coach for creatives. He teaches his students and clients how to use Instagram with intention to grow their community online, grow their list, and grow their business. Tyler focuses on using Instagram and social media to tell stories, build relationships, and convert followers to fans, drawing from his 10 years of experience in non-profit marketing and management and community organizing. He’s taught and coached hundreds of entrepreneurs and managed dozens of Instagram accounts since getting into the online marketing game in 2015. Tyler is based in Chicago, where he lives with his partner Eric and their dog Douglass. When he’s not coaching or teaching or Instagram strategizing, Tyler enjoys Target runs and road trips…that he documents on his Instagram Stories.
About the host, Miriam Schulman
In case we haven’t met yet, I’m a watercolor and mixed media artist. My art has been featured in numerous publications such as Somerset Studio, and I’m the founder of The Inspiration Place where I give my students stepping stones to create beautiful art as well as the emotional support they need to stay inspired. See the art I create at art.SchulmanArt.com or learn how to paint with me at TheInspirationPlace.net
Subscribe & Review in iTunes
Are you subscribed to my podcast? If you’re not, I want to encourage you to do that today. I don’t want you to miss an episode. I’m adding a bunch of bonus episodes to the mix and if you’re not subscribed there’s a good chance you’ll miss out on those. Click here to subscribe in iTunes!
Now if you’re feeling extra loving, I would be really grateful if you left me a review over on iTunes, too. Those reviews help other people find my podcast and they’re also fun for me to go in an read. Just click here to review, select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” and let me know what your favorite part of the podcast is. Thank you!
Listener shout out of the week!
“Really enjoying your podcasts, Miriam! I love the guests and variety of topics. Somehow I knew I would love Blenda’s art after listening to her and sure enough, I now follow her on Instagram and subscribe to her newsletter. Hope these podcasts will continue for a long, long time!”
~ Diane O.
Thanks for tuning in, Diane! Stay tuned for many more podcast episodes to come…