with host artist Miriam Schulman
Pictures alone will not sell your art. If you want to sell your art online, you need the right language. In this episode I look at the words that you use on your website. I am excited to talk to Kimberly Houston, a copywriter and web marketing strategist. She helps creative business owners stand out in an overcrowded market and has experience of working with artists.
We talk about the 3 pages you need on your website and how to structure those pages. We discuss the importance of story, why you need a call to action on every page and whether you need an artist statement.
In this podcast, you will discover…
- (04:18) The 3 pages every creative needs to have on their webpage
- (05:11) The elements you need on your home page
- (06:40) Why the copy on your website is important for SEO
- (08:05) What should come first – the copy or the design?
- (10:10) Why the about pages needs to be about your audience as well as about who you are
- (12:02) That it’s important to have a call to action on every webpage
- (14:03) How a website is always a work in progress
- (15:01) Discussing the page you sell your work from
- (16:39) How to deal with multiple collections of art on your galleries
- (18:38) Writing copy for an individual piece of art
- (20:12) That people want to know the story behind the art
- (21:13) How I repurpose copy from my Instagram for my website
- (22:22) That people tend to prefer conversational, story based copy
- (23:19) That one of the biggest mistakes, Kimberley sees is writing in the 3rd person
- (25:47) How there are so many things an artist can write about that would be interesting to creators
- (27:44) Do you need an artist statement on your webpage?
- (30:33) That you have to stick with your email list
APRON GIVEAWAY CONTEST!
In celebration of completing the first 6 months of my podcast, The Inspiration Place, I’m giving away an Inspiration Place apron!
Here’s how to enter:
1. Leave a sincere review of The Inspiration Place on schulmanart.com/iTunes or Apple Podcasts.
2. Screenshot your review
3. Post it on Instagram with the hashtag #theinspirationplace and tag @schulmanart OR send the screenshot to me in a DM on Instagram
Last day to enter is February 11th 2019
Winner will be announced ON INSTAGRAM on February 12th
Kimberly Houston is a copywriter and web marketing strategist who helps creative business builders stand out in an overcrowded market and get more get more bookings, business & sales with personality-driven web copy + results-driven marketing strategy. Her motto? “Creative integrity and profit are not meant to be mutually exclusive.”
- Facebook: Kimberly D. Houston
About the host, Miriam Schulman
In case we haven’t met yet, I’m Miriam Schulman, Chief Inspiration Officer of The Inspiration Place. I inspire art-lovers to reconnect with their creativity, learn new skills and techniques, and profit from their art. After witnessing the 9/11 terrorist attacks, I abandoned a lucrative hedge fund job to work on my art full time. Rejecting the starving artist myth, my paintings have been seen on NBC, published in art magazines & home décor books, and collected worldwide. I’d love to invite you to check out one of my free resources for art lovers (of every passion level) at schulmanart.com/freebies
Subscribe & Review in iTunes
Are you subscribed to my podcast? If you’re not, I want to encourage you to do that today. I don’t want you to miss an episode. I’m adding a bunch of bonus episodes to the mix and if you’re not subscribed there’s a good chance you’ll miss out on those. Click here to subscribe in iTunes!
Now if you’re feeling extra loving, I would be really grateful if you left me a review over on iTunes, too. Those reviews help other people find my podcast and they’re also fun for me to go in an read. Just click here to review, select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” and let me know what your favorite part of the podcast is. Thank you!
Listener shout out of the week!
“I learned so much listening to this podcast [with] David Burkus. I will find him on my Audible now to read his book! Thanks for these wonderful tips in podcast form Miriam, I love working in my art journal while I listen to inspiring material. Feeling so productive!”
NEW FREE LIVE MASTERCLASS
Discover the “5 P’s” of the Portrait Painting Process to Create Art of Your Loved Ones that You Can Be Proud of…
Click☝️ above ☝️ to sign up (yes, it’s free)