with host artist Miriam Schulman
How can art help heal people from trauma? Susan Greif interprets drawings to help her clients form a healthier relationship with themselves and in turn a healthier relationship with others. I recently heard Susan speak at a speaker salon and was inspired by her message and her work with the children of holocaust survivors. She believes that art makes thoughts and emotions more perceptible so we can actually see our subconscious. Then we can understand what keeps us stuck and make shifts in our lives.
I notice in my students that their personalities are in their art. If they paint very tightly it’s usually because they’re uptight about something. We talk about what art tells us about a person, her process of working with a client and why art can reveal things that talking won’t.
In this podcast, you will discover…
- (02:58) Susan’s work with the children of holocaust survivors and intergenerational PTSD
- (04:12) What PTSD is and how in affects people
- (06:47) How the PTSD can be passed onto the children through epigenetics
- (08:55) What a session with Susan looks like
- (10:00) The art medium the clients have access to for their first drawings
- (11:04) That the quality of the drawing does not matter
- (11:30) An example of what anxiety can look like in a drawing
- (12:26) What the colour choice in a drawing can mean
- (13:28) How the session continues after the client has completed a drawing
- (14:01) How Susan does a similar process with individuals and groups
- (15:36) Trying to understand a picture drawn by a 57 year old woman
- (17:05) How Susan helps her client stay in the moment with their drawings
- (17:32) Continuing the story of the woman’s drawing
- (20:09) Looking at relationships differently
- (21:45) What the therapy looks like after the first drawing and how she uses journaling
- (23:30) That drawings can reveal things that people might hide or omit in talk therapy
- Susan’s Website
- Susan Greif was a performer at Tricia Brouk’s 2018 Speaker Salon. For more information about the Speaker Salon, visit Tricia Brouk’s website!
APRON GIVEAWAY CONTEST!
In celebration of completing the first 6 months of my podcast, The Inspiration Place, I’m giving away an Inspiration Place apron!
Here’s how to enter:
1. Leave a sincere review of The Inspiration Place on schulmanart.com/iTunes or Apple Podcasts.
2. Screenshot your review
3. Post it on Instagram with the hashtag #theinspirationplace and tag @schulmanart OR send the screenshot to me in a DM on Instagram
Last day to enter is February 11th 2019
Winner will be announced ON INSTAGRAM on February 12th
Susan Greif is a speaker, author, and owner of Art Mends Hearts, LLC. Susan interprets her clients’ drawings to bring awareness to what keeps them feeling paralyzed, powerless, panicked and in pain and propels them to a healthier relationship with themselves and in turn, a healthier relationship with others.
Susan believes art makes thoughts and emotions more perceptible so we can actually see our subconscious and be awaken to what keeps us stuck in our ways and take action to make shifts in our lives.
Susan works with many daughters of Holocaust survivors who suffer from Intergenerational PTSD.
Susan created a workshop series called Art-Chi: Understanding Your Chakras thru Art.
Susan is also the Healing Arts Expert Advisor for Change Your Attitude Change Your Life (CYACYL) and writes monthly for 24/Seven Digital Magazine and can be heard on iHeartRADIO & AM970 TheANSWER. Susan also presented at Speaker Salon curated and directed by Tricia Brouk.
About the host, Miriam Schulman
In case we haven’t met yet, I’m a watercolor and mixed media artist. My art has been featured in numerous publications such as Somerset Studio, and I’m the founder of The Inspiration Place where I give my students stepping stones to create beautiful art as well as the emotional support they need to stay inspired. See the art I create at art.SchulmanArt.com or learn how to paint with me at TheInspirationPlace.net
Subscribe & Review in iTunes
Are you subscribed to my podcast? If you’re not, I want to encourage you to do that today. I don’t want you to miss an episode. I’m adding a bunch of bonus episodes to the mix and if you’re not subscribed there’s a good chance you’ll miss out on those. Click here to subscribe in iTunes!
Now if you’re feeling extra loving, I would be really grateful if you left me a review over on iTunes, too. Those reviews help other people find my podcast and they’re also fun for me to go in an read. Just click here to review, select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” and let me know what your favorite part of the podcast is. Thank you!
Listener shout out of the week!
“Hello Miriam. Love your name, to start. I love arts of many. Mediums: I am a quilter. And have services for. Your art pages and podcast also reflect how my stitching art is viewed by others. This podcast on the right words [to use] on my website etc. is just what I have been looking for. Excellent host and speaker here. I need more info like this so I can put myself out there. Thank you soo much. I do watch your videos. Love to paint on fabric as well as canvas or walls etc. Keep it up. (Love your aprons too!)”
If you’re struggling to sell your art...
Perhaps the problem starts with your prices. Find the confidence to price your art perfectly for profits in this one day Virtual LIVE Workshop. You'll walk away with a step-by-step plan using my exclusive profit planning system.
Introducing... the Profit Planning Virtual Workshop
Take the mystery out of pricing your art for both in person and successful online sales.
APRIL 24, 2020 ~ 1-4 PM ET*
To sign up, go to schulmanart.com/workshop