with host artist Miriam Schulman
In this episode, I answer questions from The Inspiration Place Facebook group. Helping me out is my good friend and professional artist, Blenda Tyvoll. Her art has been included in the set designs of Amazons Just Add Magic and Girls Season 6. She is one of the top sellers on Etsy and illustrates stationary, children’s books and designs home décor products.
We discuss selling art at art fairs and festivals, how you close a sale and how to create mock-ups of your art in a room. The second part of the podcast is a wide-ranging conversation which includes my previous podcast with Ashley Longshore, Mr Rogers and what makes an introvert.
listen on iTunes | listen on Google Play | listen on Stitcher | listen on Spotify
- (02:11) Barbara asks ‘ I have been considering getting a booth at a local arts fair. How many paintings would one want to have on hand, not including prints or cards, to have for sale?
- (03:34) Advice on how to set up a booth at an art fair
- (04:42) Why greeting cards are worth having and how Blenda and I package them
- (10:14) How Blenda and I sell our prints
- (12:08) Anna asks ‘How do you close a sale in a way that they will come back?’
- (12:52) How Blenda recently used postcards to attract people to her open studio
- (15:38) Tips on closing the deal
- (18:36) Coren asks ‘What software or app can I use to make mock-ups of my wall art in a room, for web listings?’
- (19:29) Some suggestions for places you can upload your artwork to get a room view
- (20:24) The advantages of using Photoshop to put your art in a room
- (21:20) Where to source room views
- Blenda gives me some feedback on her first podcast episode with Ashley Longshore
- (25:32) We discuss Ashley’s’ book You Don’t Look Fat, You Look Crazy
- (28:11) Why artists should buy art
- (29:39) Discussing the Mr Roger’s documentary
- (30:59) Blenda and I discuss the pivotal world events we remember from our childhoods
- (35:14) What does it mean to be an introvert?
- (40:28) Some more discussion on my conversation with Ashley Longshore
- (43:56) How sometimes artists can be an acquired taste
- (46:22) How Blenda has been working on a Skillshare class
- (48:33) I talk about the calendar I have been working on
- Blendastudio instagram
- Fine Art America
- Crash course on making prints and cards
- You Don’t Look Fat, You Look Crazy: An Unapologetic Guide to Being Ambitchous by Ashley Longshore
- Lizzie Tisch Launches LTD, An Experiential Style Venture
- Koko, famed gorilla that learned sign language, dies aged 46
- Mr Rogers Documentry Trailer
- Space Shuttle Challenger disaster
- Inside the Gallery-Studio of a Celeb-Favorite Pop Artist
- Blenda’s Lessons on Skillshare
Crash Course in DIY Art Prints
If you long to add your art to prints and cards, then check out my FREE masterclass a Crash Course in creating Prints, cards and calendars so you can profit from your passion.
In this FREE video training you’ll:
☑ Uncover the best resources for online printing to create large beautiful canvas prints, notes cards and calendars
☑ Access the free checklist and shopping guide to DIY prints at home
☑ Discover my exact printer and scanner setup
So go to SchulmanArt.com/PRINTCLASS to get started today in printing. So grab your free spot in this limited time video masterclass to finally create professional looking prints of your art whether you want them for yourself, for gifts or to sell and make money from your passion.
Blenda Tyvoll is an artist and illustrator based outside of Portland, Oregon. Since 2006 she has maintained a website selling her artworks to collectors worldwide. Her art has been included in the set designs of Amazon’s “Just Add Magic” and Girls Season 6. She also illustrates stationary, children’s books and designs home decor products. Blenda has a bachelor of fine arts degree in art and interior design from Marylhurst University.
- Instagram: @blendastudio
- Facebook: Blenda Studio
- Twitter: @blendastudio
About the host, Miriam Schulman
In case we haven’t met yet, I’m an artist and founder of The Inspiration Place, where I help other artists learn how to profit from their passion or become better artists. Through online classes, business coaching programs, and a top-ranked podcast, I’ve helped thousands of artists around the world develop their skill sets and create more time and freedom to do what they love. My signature coaching program, The Artist Incubator, helps artists go from so-so sales to sold-out collections.
A graduate of Dartmouth College and M.I.T, I initially pursued finance but after witnessing 9/11, I abandoned a lucrative hedge fund job to work on my art full time. Since then, my art and my story have been featured in major publications including Forbes, The New York Times, Art of Man, Art Journaling magazine as well as featured on NBC’s “Parenthood” and the Amazon series “Hunters” with Al Pacino. My forthcoming book with HarperCollins Leadership on how to make it as an artist is scheduled to be released January 31, 2023. When I’m not in the studio, you can find me hanging out with my husband, adult kids, and a tuxedo cat named Ebony. I’d love to invite you to check out one of my free resources for art lovers (of every passion level) at schulmanart.com/freebies
Subscribe & Review in iTunes
Are you subscribed to my podcast? If you’re not, I want to encourage you to do that today. I don’t want you to miss an episode. I’m adding a bunch of bonus episodes to the mix and if you’re not subscribed there’s a good chance you’ll miss out on those. Click here to subscribe in iTunes!
Now if you’re feeling extra loving, I would be really grateful if you left me a review over on iTunes, too. Those reviews help other people find my podcast and they’re also fun for me to go in an read. Just click here to review, select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” and let me know what your favorite part of the podcast is. Thank you!
I’ve been in the art studio making some new videos, a whole 12-part series called: Artpreneur Affirmations. I took each chapter title in the book and made an art journal page out of each.
You can't buy this course separately!
If you want to get your hands on it, the ONLY way you can enjoy it is when you pre-order the book, Artpreneur.
When you order a paperback copy through this page, you'll get instant Access to a dozen mindset sessions designed to help you bust through your starving artist mindset blocks and get you thinking like an abundant artist…in ten minutes or less!🙏
Thank you for being part of my world!🧡🧡🧡
Other ways to enjoy this podcast
Listen on Apple Podcasts
Read the transcript
Join the conversation on Instagram
4 thoughts on “002: Art Business Q&A: How to Sell Art at Fairs and Online with Blenda Tyvoll”
Introvert here : ) You can always find me in the kitchen at parties https://youtu.be/62eTq8ErUOQ
Where do you have your prints of your paintings (prints) printed?
Miriam covers that inside SchulmanArt.com/PRINTCLASS
but since you are part of Print Apprenticeship, please ask that question inside the classroom! 🙂
Really enjoying your podcasts, Miriam! I love the guests and variety of topics. Somehow I knew I would love Blenda’s art after listening to her and sure enough, I now follow her on Instagram and subscribe to her newsletter. Hope these podcasts will continue for a long, long time!