with host artist Miriam Schulman
In this episode, I answer questions from The Inspiration Place Facebook group. Helping me out is my good friend and professional artist, Blenda Tyvoll. Her art has been included in the set designs of Amazons Just Add Magic and Girls Season 6. She is one of the top sellers on Etsy and illustrates stationary, children’s books and designs home décor products.
We discuss selling art at art fairs and festivals, how you close a sale and how to create mock-ups of your art in a room. The second part of the podcast is a wide-ranging conversation which includes my previous podcast with Ashley Longshore, Mr Rogers and what makes an introvert.
- (02:11) Barbara asks ‘ I have been considering getting a booth at a local arts fair. How many paintings would one want to have on hand, not including prints or cards, to have for sale?
- (03:34) Advice on how to set up a booth at an art fair
- (04:42) Why greeting cards are worth having and how Blenda and I package them
- (10:14) How Blenda and I sell our prints
- (12:08) Anna asks ‘How do you close a sale in a way that they will come back?’
- (12:52) How Blenda recently used postcards to attract people to her open studio
- (15:38) Tips on closing the deal
- (18:36) Coren asks ‘What software or app can I use to make mock-ups of my wall art in a room, for web listings?’
- (19:29) Some suggestions for places you can upload your artwork to get a room view
- (20:24) The advantages of using Photoshop to put your art in a room
- (21:20) Where to source room views
- Blenda gives me some feedback on her first podcast episode with Ashley Longshore
- (25:32) We discuss Ashley’s’ book You Don’t Look Fat, You Look Crazy
- (28:11) Why artists should buy art
- (29:39) Discussing the Mr Roger’s documentary
- (30:59) Blenda and I discuss the pivotal world events we remember from our childhoods
- (35:14) What does it mean to be an introvert?
- (40:28) Some more discussion on my conversation with Ashley Longshore
- (43:56) How sometimes artists can be an acquired taste
- (46:22) How Blenda has been working on a Skillshare class
- (48:33) I talk about the calendar I have been working on
- Blendastudio instagram
- Fine Art America
- Crash course on making prints and cards
- You Don’t Look Fat, You Look Crazy: An Unapologetic Guide to Being Ambitchous by Ashley Longshore
- Lizzie Tisch Launches LTD, An Experiential Style Venture
- Koko, famed gorilla that learned sign language, dies aged 46
- Mr Rogers Documentry Trailer
- Space Shuttle Challenger disaster
- Inside the Gallery-Studio of a Celeb-Favorite Pop Artist
- Blenda’s Lessons on Skillshare
Crash Course in DIY Art Prints
If you long to add your art to prints and cards, then check out my FREE masterclass a Crash Course in creating Prints, cards and calendars so you can profit from your passion.
In this FREE video training you’ll:
☑ Uncover the best resources for online printing to create large beautiful canvas prints, notes cards and calendars
☑ Access the free checklist and shopping guide to DIY prints at home
☑ Discover my exact printer and scanner setup
So go to SchulmanArt.com/PRINTCLASS to get started today in printing. So grab your free spot in this limited time video masterclass to finally create professional looking prints of your art whether you want them for yourself, for gifts or to sell and make money from your passion.
Blenda Tyvoll is an artist and illustrator based outside of Portland, Oregon. Since 2006 she has maintained a website selling her artworks to collectors worldwide. Her art has been included in the set designs of Amazon’s “Just Add Magic” and Girls Season 6. She also illustrates stationary, children’s books and designs home decor products. Blenda has a bachelor of fine arts degree in art and interior design from Marylhurst University.
About the host, Miriam Schulman
In case we haven’t met yet, I’m a watercolor and mixed media artist. My art has been featured in numerous publications such as Somerset Studio, and I’m the founder of The Inspiration Place where I give my students stepping stones to create beautiful art as well as the emotional support they need to stay inspired. See the art I create at art.SchulmanArt.com or learn how to paint with me at TheInspirationPlace.net
Subscribe & Review in iTunes
Are you subscribed to my podcast? If you’re not, I want to encourage you to do that today. I don’t want you to miss an episode. I’m adding a bunch of bonus episodes to the mix and if you’re not subscribed there’s a good chance you’ll miss out on those. Click here to subscribe in iTunes!
Now if you’re feeling extra loving, I would be really grateful if you left me a review over on iTunes, too. Those reviews help other people find my podcast and they’re also fun for me to go in an read. Just click here to review, select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” and let me know what your favorite part of the podcast is. Thank you!
Calling all artists...
Today’s episode is brought to you by my new quiz, “What’s your art marketing personality?” Whether you’re an emerging artist or you want to skyrocket your art career I want to help you determine the best next steps for your art career.
To take the quiz go to schulmanart.com/quiz