with host artist Miriam Schulman
Why do restorative naps, long walks, vigorous exercise and lengthy vacation all help creative people do great work? Dr. Alex Soojung-Kim Pang is an expert on how rest plays a key role in creativity. He is the author of Rest: Why You Get More Done When You Work Less. He is the founder of The Restful Company and a visiting scholar at Stanford University. Drawing on neuroscience, psychology and history his research demonstrates that many accomplished people use rest in ways that help them be more creative. In this episode he talks about how to make rest work for you.
In this podcast, you will discover…
- (01:40) How Alex’s book reaffirmed my parenting ideas
- (03:34) What deliberate rest is and what it’s benefits are
- (06:07) Is stopping work to check Instagram restful?
- (07:09) That there is a limit to the amount of focused work we can do
- (09:30) How rest is a partner to the work
- (11:57) The role of routines in organizing your time and setting priorities
- (15:12) Strategies to keep your inner critic at bay when doing creative work
- (17:02) Does listening to podcasts while you walk limit the potential for creative ideas?
- (18:48) How music can help recovery
- (20:20) A discussion on whether sexuality has an impact on creativity
- (23:24) How Alex is researching companies have put some of ideas about rest into practice
- (24:56) How more hours doesn’t necessarily mean more productivity
- Rest: Why You Get More Done When You Work Less by Alex Soojung-Kim Pang
- Rest With Alex Podcast
- Deliberate Rest
- The Restful Company
Alex Soojung-Kim Pang is a futurist and author. His latest book, REST: WHY YOU GET MORE DONE WHEN YOU WORK LESS, explores the hidden role rest plays in the success of super-creative and -productive people, explains how findings in neuroscience and psychology explain why leisure stimulates novel thinking, and shows how we can apply these lessons in our own creative lives. His previous book, THE DISTRACTION ADDICTION, dealt with technology, addiction, and distraction. Together, they have been translated into 14 languages. His latest project shows how companies can move to 30- or 32-hour weeks without sacrificing productivity or profitability. He has a Ph.D. in the history and sociology of science from the University of Pennsylvania, and is a visiting scholar at Stanford University.
- REST on Amazon
- Deliberate Rest Blog
- Rest with Alex Pang podcast
- Twitter: @askpang
- Instagram: @askpang
About the host, Miriam Schulman
In case we haven’t met yet, I’m a watercolor and mixed media artist. My art has been featured in numerous publications such as Somerset Studio, and I’m the founder of The Inspiration Place where I give my students stepping stones to create beautiful art as well as the emotional support they need to stay inspired. See the art I create at art.SchulmanArt.com or learn how to paint with me at TheInspirationPlace.net
Subscribe & Review in iTunes
Are you subscribed to my podcast? If you’re not, I want to encourage you to do that today. I don’t want you to miss an episode. I’m adding a bunch of bonus episodes to the mix and if you’re not subscribed there’s a good chance you’ll miss out on those. Click here to subscribe in iTunes!
Now if you’re feeling extra loving, I would be really grateful if you left me a review over on iTunes, too. Those reviews help other people find my podcast and they’re also fun for me to go in an read. Just click here to review, select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” and let me know what your favorite part of the podcast is. Thank you!
Listener shout out of the week!
“This podcast has become such a great resource for me as an artist. Miriam and her guests are always helpful, engaging, relevant and entertaining! I’d recommend it to anyone working in an art or design related business. Grateful for this community!”
For the next few days, I’m sharing my signature framework for painting watercolor pet portraits in my brand new FREE video series “Painting Pets with Passion Workshop”
In this video series you’ll..
✓ Discover why painting pets creates an ART LEGACY
✓ Practice two easy tutorials for drawing pets using the "Shape Method"
✓ Grab the complete supply list for successful watercolor pet portraits
Click here to register to and get instant access to the first video (yes, its free)