with host artist Miriam Schulman
We all experience the harshness of our inner critic and the struggle to sustain our creativity though the noise. From an early age we learn that we should be perfect and flawless. But the truth is our flaws make us human and whole. And in turn make our art more interesting.
I am excited to talk to Denise Jacobs who is a guru on quieting your inner critic. A speaker, author and creativity evangelist, she speaks at conferences and consults with companies worldwide. She helps individuals and companies unleash their creativity by banishing their inner critic and hacking their creative minds. She is the author of the book Banish Your Inner Critic.
Hear about what the inner critic is and why it is a universal struggle. We talk about the 3 tools we naturally have that can help, strategies to reduce the impact of the criticism and how sometimes the criticisms of others can unlock our secret superpowers.
In this podcast, you will discover…
- (04:07) The moment Denise realized she was creative and establishing a career in graphic designers
- (06:23) How if you have a certain trait, people often have expectations of you
- (07:46) How sometimes Denise and I downplay our skills and experience
- (11:40) Defining what the inner critic is
- (15:25) That we naturally have tools which can help us handle the inner critic
- (15:54) The first tool: Neural Plasticity
- (16:57) The second tool: Mindfulness
- (18:39) The third tool: Self Compassion
- (19:20) Giving your inner critic a name
- (19:57) Giving your inner critic a backstory
- (23:41) How Denise sometimes gets people to draw their inner critic
- (25:14) The benefits to working with your non dominant handling
- (27:10) A story about uncovering your strengths by looking at your criticisms
- (31:35) How Denise put herself into environment where that trait that was viewed as an asset rather than a detriment
- (33:11) That it’s helpful to examine traits your are afraid of and find a place where they are an advantage
- (33:37) The idea of ‘Your Uniqueness Advantage’
- (34:46) That you can get to a place where your inner critic is less loud
- Denise Jacobs’ Website
- Episode 006: Overcoming Impostor Syndrome with Rebecca Ching
- Episode 003: How to Price your Art with Jeffrey Shaw
- Elizabeth Gilbert’s Website
Denise Jacobs is a Speaker + Author + Creativity Evangelist who speaks at conferences and consults with companies worldwide. As the Founder + CEO of The Creative Dose, keynote speaker, and trainer, she helps individuals in companies unleash their creativity through banishing their inner critic and hacking their creative brains. Denise’s keynotes and trainings give A Creative Dose™ – an injection of inspiration and immediately applicable tools to help people do their best work. Through working with Denise, people become engaged contributors, synergistic collaborators, and authentic leaders. Denise is the author of Banish Your Inner Critic, the premier handbook on silencing fears to unleash creativity. A web and tech industry veteran, Denise is also the author of The CSS Detective Guide and co-author of the Smashing Book #3 1/3 and Interact with Web Standards. She is also the founder of Rawk The Web and the Head Instigator of The Creativity (R)Evolution.
About the host, Miriam Schulman
In case we haven’t met yet, I’m an artist and founder of The Inspiration Place, where I help other artists learn how to profit from their passion or become better artists. Through online classes, business coaching programs, and a top-ranked podcast, I’ve helped thousands of artists around the world develop their skill sets and create more time and freedom to do what they love. My signature coaching program, The Artist Incubator, helps artists go from so-so sales to sold-out collections.
A graduate of Dartmouth College and M.I.T, I initially pursued finance but after witnessing 9/11, I abandoned a lucrative hedge fund job to work on my art full time. Since then, my art and my story have been featured in major publications including Forbes, The New York Times, Art of Man, Art Journaling magazine as well as featured on NBC’s “Parenthood” and the Amazon series “Hunters” with Al Pacino. My forthcoming book with HarperCollins Leadership on how to make it as an artist is scheduled to be released January 31, 2023. When I’m not in the studio, you can find me hanging out with my husband, adult kids, and a tuxedo cat named Ebony. I’d love to invite you to check out one of my free resources for art lovers (of every passion level) at schulmanart.com/freebies
Subscribe & Review in iTunes
Are you subscribed to my podcast? If you’re not, I want to encourage you to do that today. I don’t want you to miss an episode. I’m adding a bunch of bonus episodes to the mix and if you’re not subscribed there’s a good chance you’ll miss out on those. Click here to subscribe in iTunes!
Now if you’re feeling extra loving, I would be really grateful if you left me a review over on iTunes, too. Those reviews help other people find my podcast and they’re also fun for me to go in an read. Just click here to review, select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” and let me know what your favorite part of the podcast is. Thank you!
Listener shout out of the week!
“This podcast has become a great resource for me as an artist. Miriam and her guests are always helpful, engaging, relevant and entertaining! I’d recommend it to anyone working in an art or design related business. Grateful for this community!”
I’ve been in the art studio making some new videos, a whole 12-part series called: Artpreneur Affirmations. I took each chapter title in the book and made an art journal page out of each.
You can't buy this course separately!
If you want to get your hands on it, the ONLY way you can enjoy it is when you pre-order the book, Artpreneur.
When you order a paperback copy through this page, you'll get instant Access to a dozen mindset sessions designed to help you bust through your starving artist mindset blocks and get you thinking like an abundant artist…in ten minutes or less!🙏
Thank you for being part of my world!🧡🧡🧡