with host artist Miriam Schulman
We all experience the harshness of our inner critic and the struggle to sustain our creativity though the noise. From an early age we learn that we should be perfect and flawless. But the truth is our flaws make us human and whole. And in turn make our art more interesting.
I am excited to talk to Denise Jacobs who is a guru on quieting your inner critic. A speaker, author and creativity evangelist, she speaks at conferences and consults with companies worldwide. She helps individuals and companies unleash their creativity by banishing their inner critic and hacking their creative minds. She is the author of the book Banish Your Inner Critic.
Hear about what the inner critic is and why it is a universal struggle. We talk about the 3 tools we naturally have that can help, strategies to reduce the impact of the criticism and how sometimes the criticisms of others can unlock our secret superpowers.
In this podcast, you will discover…
- (04:07) The moment Denise realized she was creative and establishing a career in graphic designers
- (06:23) How if you have a certain trait, people often have expectations of you
- (07:46) How sometimes Denise and I downplay our skills and experience
- (11:40) Defining what the inner critic is
- (15:25) That we naturally have tools which can help us handle the inner critic
- (15:54) The first tool: Neural Plasticity
- (16:57) The second tool: Mindfulness
- (18:39) The third tool: Self Compassion
- (19:20) Giving your inner critic a name
- (19:57) Giving your inner critic a backstory
- (23:41) How Denise sometimes gets people to draw their inner critic
- (25:14) The benefits to working with your non dominant handling
- (27:10) A story about uncovering your strengths by looking at your criticisms
- (31:35) How Denise put herself into environment where that trait that was viewed as an asset rather than a detriment
- (33:11) That it’s helpful to examine traits your are afraid of and find a place where they are an advantage
- (33:37) The idea of ‘Your Uniqueness Advantage’
- (34:46) That you can get to a place where your inner critic is less loud
- Denise Jacobs’ Website
- Episode 006: Overcoming Impostor Syndrome with Rebecca Ching
- Episode 003: How to Price your Art with Jeffrey Shaw
- Elizabeth Gilbert’s Website
Denise Jacobs is a Speaker + Author + Creativity Evangelist who speaks at conferences and consults with companies worldwide. As the Founder + CEO of The Creative Dose, keynote speaker, and trainer, she helps individuals in companies unleash their creativity through banishing their inner critic and hacking their creative brains. Denise’s keynotes and trainings give A Creative Dose™ – an injection of inspiration and immediately applicable tools to help people do their best work. Through working with Denise, people become engaged contributors, synergistic collaborators, and authentic leaders. Denise is the author of Banish Your Inner Critic, the premier handbook on silencing fears to unleash creativity. A web and tech industry veteran, Denise is also the author of The CSS Detective Guide and co-author of the Smashing Book #3 1/3 and Interact with Web Standards. She is also the founder of Rawk The Web and the Head Instigator of The Creativity (R)Evolution.
About the host, Miriam Schulman
In case we haven’t met yet, I’m a watercolor and mixed media artist. My art has been featured in numerous publications such as Somerset Studio, and I’m the founder of The Inspiration Place where I give my students stepping stones to create beautiful art as well as the emotional support they need to stay inspired. See the art I create at art.SchulmanArt.com or learn how to paint with me at TheInspirationPlace.net
Subscribe & Review in iTunes
Are you subscribed to my podcast? If you’re not, I want to encourage you to do that today. I don’t want you to miss an episode. I’m adding a bunch of bonus episodes to the mix and if you’re not subscribed there’s a good chance you’ll miss out on those. Click here to subscribe in iTunes!
Now if you’re feeling extra loving, I would be really grateful if you left me a review over on iTunes, too. Those reviews help other people find my podcast and they’re also fun for me to go in an read. Just click here to review, select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” and let me know what your favorite part of the podcast is. Thank you!
Listener shout out of the week!
“This podcast has become a great resource for me as an artist. Miriam and her guests are always helpful, engaging, relevant and entertaining! I’d recommend it to anyone working in an art or design related business. Grateful for this community!”
I bet you’ve got big dreams.
Now whether it's your goal to become a better artist, sell art or something I haven't even thought of-- there's one thing I know to be true.
Writing it down is absolutely powerful 📝
That's why using an art journal is a creative way to manifest your goal while developing your skills as an artist 🎨
If you’ve ever struggled with an inner critic, and those doubts and fears have kept you from staying focused on your goals, you may have wondered if there’s a better way.
Know this: my art journal has been the key to keeping me focused on reaching my BIGGEST goals ✨
Not only has experimenting with materials and techniques in an art journal helped me become a better artist, but using an art journal to set my goals, intentions and get in touch with my feelings have been a key to living courageously.
That’s why I want to invite you to a NEW FREE LIVE TRAINING…
Save your seat 👉 schulmanart.com/GOALS
Learn how to use an art journal to set your intentions and manifest them in 2020!
📝 Here’s what you’ll learn:
✔ Learn my EXACT 5-STEP ART JOURNAL PROCESS that I use every year for goal setting.
✔ Discover why writing it down is such a powerful method of MEDITATING ON YOUR GOALS.
✔ Find out how you can get started too (if you've never done this before) or take your art journal practice to the next level.
🎬 Plus, the best part is you'll get to watch me working in my art journal LIVE, ask me questions AND I'll be revealing my word for 2020!
Want to join the fun?
Go to 👉 schulmanart.com/GOALS